Have you started to experience first hand what technological advancements in smart home equipment offers to you and your family? So have we, and that’s why we are in love with the range of LiftMaster garage door openers by Chamberlin.
The option of connecting your garage door opener to Wi-Fi was something that LiftMaster added a few years back. Now, the MyQ connectivity incorporated into almost all models is a mobile application that gives you the opportunity to control everything about your garage door remotely. It even has a camera feature so you can view what’s happening while you’re away.
THAT’S CORRECT! You can open your garage door anywhere in the world from your smartphone or tablet.
You should know that opening and closing a LiftMaster 85503 from your smart device is only the start. It’s also the first garage door opener with:
- Camera technology built-in
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- Control through tablet or smartphone
- 2-way communication feature
Curious to see what’s happening right NOW in your garage?
Check in on the built-in camera that’s equipped with:
- 1080p HD video streaming
- Motion detection with lighting
- 360-degree rotation manually
- Night vision
What’s the benefit of all this?
As people are coming into your garage, you can see them!
After school arrival of your children.
The neighbor coming in that needs to borrow a tool.
An electrician hired to do some rewiring work in the kitchen.
After someone activates the garage door, you get a notification if that’s how you have it set up, and then this is an example of what you’ll see on your smart device.
You’re going to know exactly who is in your garage and at what time in real-time.
When the garage door opener activates the door, the camera starts picking up what’s in view and sends it to you.
How Do You Allow Access in the First Place?
Between the MyQ mobile application and your smart LiftMaster garage door, there are two options for you to utilize to give visitors access.
1. For someone you want to give access to one time, such as a home contractor:
- Have them tell you when they’re at your door through phone calls or text message.
- Open the garage door from the MyQ application.
- Visualize their entrance on the camera and shut the door behind them.
- When they notify you that they’re done, repeat the same process.
What if you’re just too busy to operate the garage door from your phone, or you don’t want to have to worry about letting people in and out? You don’t have to always be available if you’d rather give the visitor control.
2. Utilize the MyQ app for easy-to-use access
Check out these 3 straightforward methods for accessing your garage:
- Set up recurring weekly access which is ideal for individuals that visit at the same times and days each week.
- Allow temporary access for people that are only coming to your house once. Select the day and time slot for opening the garage ahead of time.
- Give access to a trustworthy person like your children for continued entry through the garage door.
Take a peek at these 6 images and see how simple it is to give access
What you’re going to see from your mobile device or tablet. On the LiftMaster MyQ application, you can set up your relationship with the user and then choose an access period. Also, set up whether it’s going to be always, temporary, or recurring.
Selecting between recurring or temporary access. Deciding the type of access you want each person to have is an individual choice. Set up one garage door for one person, and if you have multiple, you can allow access to the other one on different days and times.
All of the invitedguest users will receive an email to download the application and create a MyQ account. You maintain control of seeing what’s going on at your house.
The MyQ feature allows homeowners to set up notifications to see what each user is doing with their devices. You can view the actions in real-time, or they are saved in the event history section.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW – Your guest users will not be able to:
- Check your event history
- Look at the camera feed
- View or alter settings
- Access gate openers or commercial operators
Take a glance at a few examples to give you a better idea of what to expect:
- You have a washer and dryer set to deliver on Wednesday morning between 8 am, and 10 am. You’ll be at work, but you can grant access to the delivery company and let them know when the door will be open. The camera allows you to make sure that’s all that happens while you’re away.
- The boy across the street comes and walks your dog at lunchtime during summer vacation. Set up a recurring access time so he can effortlessly get in and out when he’s supposed to.
- Your kids get home from school every day at 3:30 pm. Set the garage door access to open at that time, see them on the camera when they arrive, and lock it up after they’re all in.
How could you have ever known that a garage door opener could do all that? It’s so insane!
That’s not all! Here’s something else that will leave your mind blown!
Talk to and hear what the people, or pets, are doing in your garage!
A 2-way audio feature in the LiftMaster 85503 provides:
- 2-way communication for talking and listening.
- Volume setting adjustments.
- Turn the microphone on or off.
As long as your notifications are set to let you know when a visitor is opening the garage door, you can talk with them as soon as they step inside if you wish to do so to share messages.
You’ll get a notification alert when your friend, partner, hired help, neighbor enters, and you say:
"Hey there, Rachel."
Provide her with any last-minute instructions like the kids won’t be home until 3:45 pm because the bus is running late, or you need her to organize the cleaning cabinet this week.
Whatever you want to say, and she can answer you back and ask questions she might have at the same time.
Retreat to the peace and security you can only find at home
It’s been determined that the LiftMaster 85503 is the most advanced garage door opener in terms of technology and connectivity already. You should also be aware of these safety features included with this model:
- Security and 2.0 safeguards create new does with each click > What does that mean? Instead of criminals gaining access to the garage by luck through the use of a universal remote, they won’t have a chance. The code changes all the time, so there no way for them to get yours right.
- Backup for Battery > Why do you need that? Because the power will go out from time to time, but that doesn’t mean you have to be stuck. The door will still open so you can get your car out.
- Protection from forced opening > How does it work? The advanced technology allows the system to determine if someone is forcing the door open. If so, it pushes it back down and will deny access.
- Lights and sounds alert to close > Why is it important? When you’re operating the door remotely, it’s harder for people to know when the switch has been activated to put the door in motion. The lights and bip sound give individuals enough notice to get out of the way.
Safety sensors > Are they essential? If children or pets could potentially get pinched under a door, safety sensors are a must. These photo-cell safety beams features stop the door from shutting all the way if an obstacle is picked up.
- Motion-detection lighting for a clear view of your surroundings at all hours of the day and night.
Are there more applications to take advantage of with the LiftMaster 85503 and smart device combo?
Let’s start with a quick recap of the first four super sweet features that come with a smart garage door opener like this:
- Close or open the garage door in any location with the use of your phone.
- Choose the users you want to have access at any given time and keep personal passwords to yourself and stop handing out keys.
- Take a look at what’s happening anytime you want.
- Decide what to do with the action in your garage by sharing information and answering questions through the 2-way communication feature.
Now dive into the additional ways your LiftMaster 85503 assists you daily:
- Set up personalized alerts. Do you want to be notified at every motion, or do you prefer to only see and hear from specific users? It’s up to you in the notification settings.
- Know what’s going on all the time. It was one of those mornings where you barely had enough time to think about what you were doing as you rushed out the door. Now that you’ve settled in, you start to wonder about whether or not you shut the garage door. Instead of waiting for a break or relying on someone else to do it for you, you can close it right from where you’re at.
- Opt for in-garage deliveries. Stealing packages is a problem, and weather conditions can change quickly. In‑garage deliveries keep your purchases safe and sound inside.
- Check your history. Select from a 7‑day or 30‑day video storage option. Each is available through a monthly subscription.
Is it time to change to a smart garage door opener?
Are you aware of when your garage door opener was originally put in? If it was before 1993, chances are it doesn’t have any safety sensors because they weren’t required by law back then. Old garage door openers are a burglar’s dream too because they often open with all different remotes. Did you know 9% of criminals get into houses through the garage door? The point being, if you’re not sure how old your garage door opener is, it’s time to start browsing for an upgrade.
Do these garage door openers seem too big? Are you thinking that a camera in your garage door opener might be a little bit too much for you?
No problem. There are several great door opener models to look at.
Start here with this helpful Infographic. You will have a better understanding of exactly what it is you’re looking at. The mechanical and electrical details quickly become overwhelming, so look at the infographic first. Otherwise, you might find yourself giving up before you start.
Contact us today at 613-749-2138 to go over all the models available.
With Ram Overhead Door Systems Ltd., you’ll get individuals that are passionate about garage doors and garage door openers. Our capacity of expertise goes above and beyond what you’ll ever encounter. Start with consultation based on your budget, garage space, and what you’re expecting.
Are you thinking, “Why not change the garage door now, too?” You don’t want to install a brand new garage door opener on a garage door that’s decades old. Use our 3 styles to determine what garage door is perfect for your property. Get creative in our Design Centre and browse all our pictures to develop a fresh idea all your own!